Friday, January 27, 2012

Shop Update

There is a lot happening behind the scenes, I promise.  I have a few things on the bench in various states of completion.  I should have some pictures of things up soon.  I'm still waiting on the new sewing machine so there are a few things on hold for that.  But to please the masses that check this thing (which probably is just my Mom), here is a quick sketch.

I am very intrigued by the life of the old trappers and fur traders.  And more than that, the lives of their wives or loved ones.  These guys were gone for months at a time doing their job, maybe they returned, maybe they didn't.  No cell phones to check in five times a day.  They were way up in the mountains so there was probably not even a telegram station, yet the wives kept the home and waited.  How would you know when to give up?  Dave Stamey's "Crazy Mary" is probably one of the best songs I've ever heard and it is about this exact situation.  So here's my Ode to the Trapper sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment