Monday, December 12, 2011

Jesse James Rig



Here was my first attempt at a pattern I have of the rig Jesse James was in possession of on the day he was killed.  The holster is for a 4 5/8" barrel Ruger Vaquero (his actually had a couple of long barrelled holsters and looked a lot meaner, but I didn't have a Schofield on hand) and the belt is a money belt with plenty of bullet loops.  A man in the profession that Jesse was in I would think would like to have plenty of ammo on him, just in case. 
For those of you who may not know about the old style money belts, I'll do my best for a brief description.  In the olden days, before store boughten bread and the federal reserve locked down the gold market, some travellers would carry gold dust or coins in their belts.  This style of belt is made from a wide piece of leather, folded over and sewn on the top.  The tip of the belt is open and allows you to put your coins in the belt.  Then the billet of the belt slides through a hole to close up the opening before going through the buckle.  This way if someone wanted your money, they would have to get your gun belt off which probably was not good news for you, if you know what I'm getting at.  I've always thought the money belt was a neat concept and really enjoyed making this rig.  I also like the design on the holster and thought that was very neat artwork for the time it was created.  Hope you like it, RW

2 comments:

  1. Nice, Randy!! I like the "plainness" (is that a word?) of the design on the holster. Is that just a swivel knife then beveler?
    Again, looks great,
    Noel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just swivel knife and bevel then some decorative cuts. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete